Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Super Secret Mac and Cheese


I know I just posted a recipe for homemade macaroni and cheese, but my sister just sent me this recipe and I just HAD to share it. Now, my kids hate veggies. I can not get them to eat them for the life of me. I made this, and they ate it all and had second helpings. It is creamy, has a little sweet and a little tang and just perfect!

serves 4 (I double it and use for leftovers)
2 - 2 1/2 cups dry noodles
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp flour
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup cooked and pureed squash or cauliflower (I use butternut squash)
1 1/2 cup shredded cheese (cheddar)
4 oz cream cheese
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp paprika
1/8 tsp pepper
Cook noodles as directed, cooking until al dente.
Meanwhile, in separate pan, heat oil, add flour stirring until it is a paste. Add milk and cook over low heat, stirring constantly until mixture becomes thick and starts to bubble (about 4 minutes). Add vegetable mixture and cheese, stir until melted. Add cooked noodles.
Optional: cover with a layer of bread crumbs and shredded cheese and bake until bubbly. However, It is so delicious without that extra step. The cream cheese and squash give it a fantastically creamy texture, not unlike Velveeta!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ok, so you totally had me at "secret" - I am for sure trying this mac n cheese!!

Lindsay