Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Tuna Cheese Buns (or the southern tuna melt)

Growing up, we ate tuna melts. You know, the open-faced tuna sandwich with cheese on top toasted under the broiler? Well, I married a southern boy. And, down south, they dont eat tuna-melts. They eat tuna cheese buns. When I first heard about them, I didn't realize how big of a part of my life they would become. They are kinda a big deal here. If there is nothing to eat, there are always tuna cheese buns. Easy. Quick. And, some may say, tasty.
Ingredients
Hamburger buns
Tuna fish
Miricle Whip
Hard boiled egg (bear with me)cut up
Velveeta cheese- small diced

Great thing about this recipe, it is easy for 1, and just as easy for 10.

So, for every 5oz can of tuna, mix 1/4 cup miricle whip, 1oz cheese, cut up, and salt/pepper to taste.
Now, the egg. I know. I hated the thought at first. TOok a while for me to accept that eggs were in tuna. But, it works.
Cut up 1 egg and mix in with tuna fish.
Place on bun, wrap in foil, and bake at 350 for 11 minutes. It comes out perfectly toatsted and delicious.

No comments: