Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Grandma Strobeck's Stuffing, revised

Stuffing or dressing? Me? Stuffing all the way. What is Thanksgiving without the stuffing? When I think of the turkey and Thanksgiving, I always remember loving the exact moment my grandmother would pull that turkey out of the oven and we all stood around waiting to taste the crusty skin and the stuffing that was falling out of the turkey. It was always perfect.
My attempt last year, not so perfect. It was soggy. I think I cried. I remember all I wanted was to have the perfect stuffing falling out of my turkey and instead, it was a lumpy soggy mess.
So, this year, I am making the stuffing but not stuffing the bird. I cant bear to have it turn out like it did last time!
Anyway, my grandmothers recipe always seemed to be amazing. And, to my delight, I found out that it was super easy! She likes to add raisins, and I personally cant stand raisins, so I like to add some cranberries. It gives it just the right kick.

Thanksgiving Stuffing (picture to come)
1 bag of Pepperidge Farm seasoned stuffing
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 stick of butter
1 cup finely chopped apple
1/2 cup diced onion
1/2 cup diced celery
1/2-1 cup chopped cranberries (more or less depending on how you like it)

Prepare stuffing according to directions on package.
In a saute pan, melt 2 tbsp butter. Add onion and celery and saute until transparent.
To the stuffing, add onion, celery, cranberries and apple. Mix well. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. (or, at this point stuff the bird)
Remember, if you ARE stuffing the bird, use LESS chicken broth because the juice from the turkey will plump up the stuffing. If you are NOT, you can add more, if needed, so it doesn't dry out. Tip, it is always easier to add more, but you cant take it out once its is in!!

1 comment:

Heidi said...

So I thought the only difference between 'stuffing' and 'dressing' is that one went in the bird and the other was just baked. Is that what everyone else thinks? Maybe I'll try it and see if Ken likes it. I'm a cornbread dressing girl, but Ken likes the other kind. Sounds good though!