Thursday, January 3, 2008

Baby its cold outside....


...and that makes for a good pot of Chili! Now, I am warning you...I dont measure stuff when I make my chili. I just shake and taste! And, the real secret is not to hurry it. You have to let it cook low and slow. The longer the better. In fact...its even better the 2nd day reheated! Lets get started, shall we?

First, lets start by putting on our pretty apons so not to ruin our wonderful Shade shirts. This one was made by my mother-in-law!



Next, brown 1lb of ground beef. While browning, shake on Chili Powder, enough to cover the meat, and ground cumin, about the same. That way, the flavor gets in the beef and stays with it.


Drain the beef. Put it in a big stock pot (or you could use a crock pot) and to it, add:
2 cans red kidney beans
1 bottle of tomato juice
1 small can tomato sauce
1 can diced tomatoes
1 large can crushed tomatoes
1 can cream of celery soup
cumin
chili powder

I like to mix everything and then add the cumin and chili powder...about 5 shakes of cumin, 10 shakes of chili powder. You can always add more later, or less in the begining, depending on how you like it.

Bring it to a slight boil, then reduce and simmer on low, stirring occasionally for 6-8 hours...like I said, the longer the better. Some people like to add peppers, corn, onions, celery, whatever. I like it just meat and beans. Simple.

And oh so good served with warm corn bread. Just be careful...little ones will want some too!

2 comments:

Deborah aka Miss Bee said...

So good to see your recipe blog!
Love that apron! Will be back...
Deborah

carol b said...

OK, so this is great fun!! I am going to have to try the chili with the canned soup! I'll send you a recipe or two to try after I get things settled down from Christmas and Sarah goes back to school.